Wednesday, December 17, 2008

CELEBRATING CHRISTMAS GOD’S WAY!


Josh and I at our Thai friend’s Wedding Dec. 15th, 2008.
Josh & I at our Thai friends' wedding.

With Christmas just around the corner it’s easy to get caught up in all the hustle and the bustle that this season “tends to bring”. I admit, even when I was back in Canada, I would even get caught up in trying to find the perfect gift for family and friends, sometimes that meant going a little bit overboard with spending just to get it. Please don’t get me wrong, giving is a wonderful thing, I certainly enjoy seeing the happy expressions on the faces of your loved ones when the gift exchange is taking place. However for me, I’ve noticed since I’ve been here serving God in Thailand, there has been a significant shifting in my outlook on things. This year I took on the task of sprucing up the ministries front bulletin board for this joyous holiday season. I asked people within and outside the ministry here ‘What does Christmas mean to you?’ I received excellent responses to the question, but this really challenged my thinking of what Christmas really means. Christmas has always been my favourite time of year. I love the crunching of the snow beneath your feet, the glowing of the lights that shine off the beautifully decorated houses, watching the snowflakes fall to the ground from inside a cozy home heated by a fireplace, and my most favourite of all, hugging a warm cup of hot chocolate heaped with marshmellows while watching the twinkling lights of the Christmas tree.

Our Thailand Christmas Tree.

Christmas is a wee bit different here in Thailand. To state the obvious, there’s no snow, people in general don’t celebrate Christmas because Buddhism is the main religion here, and Thai’s here think you’re a little bit off your rocker when they see you erect a tree in your house, let alone decorate it. Not forgetting to mention I’m quite the distance from immediate family and have been for the past three Christmas’, though last year Josh did come and visit me here which made Christmas a little bit like what I’m used to, and two years ago my parents came for almost the full month of December, my dad came to teach in the bible college, so Christmas again was nice but yet not really what I am used to. I find myself missing my traditional Canadian Family Christmas, the table decked out with candies, nuts, cakes, and all those yummy things that put the pounds on those hips, having the works for breakfast made by the famous D A D, being with the entire family, exchanging gifts, singing Christmas carols, and acknowledging the birth of our Savior. While being here over the holiday season, I have learnt to appreciate those times but to embrace the change that God has so willingly allowed me to experience, to change my ‘idea’ of Christmas and to allow Him to use me for the benefit of others. In Matthew 10:8 it says “ .. Freely (without pay) you have received, freely (without charge) give.*Amplified Version” I want this to be the anthem for this holiday season and to carry on into the years to come. Josh and I are just everyday people that are determined to live life God’s way! This Christmas Josh and I will be giving out the greatest gift of all, the gift of HOPE! The week of Christmas is packed full of various outreaches that we will be heavily involved in. December 23rd is the Prison Outreach, the missionary staff, bible college students and a missionary team from Canada will be in the prison painting and cleaning cells, wiring in new lights and fans as well as presenting them with a new TV. December 24th is our Candle Light Service. December 25th is the Robinsons Outreach (our local mall), our ONE WAY worship band will be performing along with myself and my mentor girls will be putting on a puppet show for the children. December 26th is the Hospital Outreach, we will be going into the children’s ward to minister to them, they will be engaged in crafts, puppet shows, colouring Christmas colouring books, and having a happy birthday Jesus party etc. Lastly, December 27th we will be at the Detention Center, playing music, preaching, and feeding the inmates. I honestly can’t think of a better way to celebrate Christmas than to tell the story of ONE MAN... whose life brought salvation... whose birth was of a woman... whose conception was of God... whose arrival was well-planned... whose coming was foretold...AND... whose birth would change this world forever! This is by far the greatest gift one could receive for Christmas =).


Josh and I appreciate each and every one of you that have given into our lives and that support us prayerfully and financially. Be blessed this joyful holiday season and keep warm, it’s a little “burr” outside :P.

Blessings, Bekah.

No comments: